Windows Server 2003 supports two different types of disks: basic disks and dynamic disks. All disk devices added to a computer are basic disks until they are converted to dynamic. You may be asking why you would want to convert to your disks from basic to dynamic. Well the answer is that dynamic disks include features that are not available under basic disks such as the ability to create volumes that span multiple disks and the ability to extend a volume.
It is a relatively simple process to convert from basic to dynamic. You can do so through the Computer Management console as outlined below. However, keep the following points in mind before you proceed:
- There must be at least 1 MB of free space on the disk you are converting
- You will not lose any data by converting to a dynamic disk
- Dynamic disks are not supported by mobile computers
- Pre-windows 2000 operating systems do not supported dynamic disks
- Right click My Computer and click Manage
- Click Disk Management.
- In the right pane, right click the disk you want to convert and click Convert to Dynamic Disk.
- Place a check beside the disk you want to convert. Click OK.
- Click Convert.
- Click Yes.
- Click OK.
I Thank You for your time